Saturday, January 1, 2011

Squash Casserole

For Christmas, I made this casserole to take to my parents' house for our family celebration.  I got it from a cookbook, The Essential Mormon Cookbook.  My sister, Valerie, requested I blog the recipe.  So here it is.

Squash Casserole
 3 lbs. butternut squash
1/4 C. butter, melted
1/2 C. chopped onion
1 tsp.  salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 C. sour cream
1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp.  lemon juice (optional)
1 C. grated cheddar cheese, divided

Cut squash into large chunks.  Cook in boiling water until tender (about 20 min.).  Drain well.  Remove peel and mash.  Set aside.  In a bowl microwave butter and onion for 2 min.  Stir into the squash.  In a bowl combine remaining ingredients, using only 1/4 C. of the cheese.  Add to squash and stir together.  Pour into a  greased 2 quart casserole.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Serves 8-10

2 comments:

Stella Andes said...

That was so good! I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, and it was a pleasant surprise! Thanks for blogging the recipe!

Tiff :o) said...

I am surprised by how much I actually like squash these days. Looks good. I'll have to give it a try.