Lately, I have been thinking a lot about happiness and the things that bring us true, lasting happiness. I have been reading a little bit about being happy and wanted to share a couple of quotes I found that spoke to me.
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination; happiness is to be found along the way, not at the end of the road, for then the journey is over ant it's too late. The time for happiness is today not tomorrow." -Paul H. Dunn
I remember thinking when I finish college and get a real job...then I will be happy. When I am seriously dating then I will be happy. When I am married then I will be happy. I think of myself as a generally happy person... but I thought I would be completely happy when I met these goals. This is a powerful reminder to me to find the happiness in the journey; if I don't- I sure won't feel it at the end.
"Happiness does not depend on obtaining all the desires of our hearts. In a large measure, happiness depends on our ability to feel gratitude for the abundance we already have."
This quote struck me. How often do I forget all the little things that I have been given? How often do I stew over the things I want but don't have? I decided to compile a list of some things that have made me smile or laugh in the last couple of months. Then when I am feeling discouraged or down I can be reminded that happiness can be always be found... if I am just grateful enough to look for it.
1. Sometimes I crawl into bed after Tom has been asleep for awhile. I say good night again. I LOVE that he will always say I love you... mumbling and still asleep. I know that he means it...since he is dead to the world.
2. I have the pleasure of working with 4 and 5 year olds. They can be so frustrating... but they are also so funny. I was testing one of my kids this week. We tell them we are going to try to trick them and ask if we can or if they are too smart to be tricked. One of my little guys said, "I am allergic to tricky!" I had to laugh.
3. My nephew, Avi, is just beginning to speak. Yesterday I walked into my parents' house and he said, "Heather!" It melted my heart...it is only the second time I've heard him say my name... and the first time it has been spontaneous!
4. Having one of my girls in class, Cierra, whisper to me, "I really like sitting on your lap."
5. A couple of days ago Tom whispered into my belly, "Hi, Aileah. It's Daddy. You hang on tight in there." He is going to be such a great dad!
6. A girl in my class, Autumn, asked if she could kiss my baby. I told her it would probably be better if she blew the baby a kiss. She did and then she got three of the other girls in our class to blow kisses to the baby.
7. I love holding my newest nephew, Itai. I love getting him to smile his huge toothless smile.
8. I was eating snack with my class and one of the boys at my table turned to me and said, "Guess what. I love you." And then he just went back to eating. He has done this a couple of times... just said I love you in passing.
9. I love that my oldest nephew, Alex, tells Dad jokes. You know... those corny, "punny" jokes. He is a master of them. He spent the night a few weeks ago and boy, was he ever on a roll with them! Funny kid!
10. I love that my oldest niece, Elisa, is so gentle and loving to everyone. She is a great helper with Avi. He loves her to pieces and often wants her to carrying him around. Sweet girl!
11. My youngest niece, Sabrina, is so funny...sometimes without meaning to be. Tom and I were watching her and her two siblings for 5 days. She is a fairly picky eater and everything I suggested was turned down. Finally I said,"Do you like frozen pizza?" She said, "Um... a little. But can you cook it first?" My favorite Sabrina story!
12. I smile every time I have to get out of bed in the middle of the night. When I get back in Tom will scoot over to me and wrap his arms around me before going back to a dead sleep.
13. Feeling Aileah move, kick, or punch... or whatever she is doing in there. Tom is anxious to feel it too!
14. When we told Bella, my niece, that we "had a baby in my tummy." She tried to lift my shirt to see it. I tried to explain she couldn't see it yet. She leaned down and very gently kissed the baby. What a cute girl!
15. Being married to my best friend! I cannot imagine traveling on this journey with anyone else! I am so grateful for Tom in my life. I could list a million things he does to bring happiness to my life!